Chiropractic care for an expecting mother will:
- Balance the pelvis to create a more comfortable pregnancy and labor which allows more room for the baby to move and grow in utero
- Reduce average labor time
- Remove ligament tension to support the growing baby and uterus
- Reduce pain throughout pregnancy
- Reduce labor pains, and specifically back contractions or back labor
- Decrease the need of medical interventions such as cesarean sections, vacuum, forceps, and birthing medications.
Dr. Matt and Dr. Emily have treated patients using Webster technique to help reduce discomfort and allow for more space in the uterus during pregnancy. Dr. Emily is certified through the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) in Webster Technique.
According to the ICPA:
“The Webster Technique is a specific chiropractic adjustment for pregnant mothers. Working to correct sacral subluxations, this technique balances pelvic muscles and ligaments in the woman’s pelvis, removes constraint and allows the baby to get into the best possible position for birth. Because of its ability to facilitate easier, safer deliveries for both the mother and baby, many birth care providers are actively seeking Doctors of Chiropractic with the skills in this technique”
Webster technique is used throughout all phases of pregnancy and is designed to balance the sacrum and change neuro-muscular imbalances in the pelvis. These imbalances occur frequently because of the constant change in the mother’s body and hormones. Another step is the release of the round ligament. This contact is made on the mother’s stomach and release allows room for the baby to continue to grow and move into proper labor positioning. Dr. Matt and Dr. Emily can give home care instructions to expecting mothers, so that they may continue the work on this while at home. Adjusting the sacrum via Webster analysis and working with the round ligament throughout pregnancy may minimize aberrant uterine tension, potential fetal constraint and possible malposition at the time of delivery.