What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is based on these simple truths:
1. The body is self-healing and self-regulating.
2. The purpose of the brain and nervous system is to control and coordinate the function of all the cells, tissues and organs in the body, and to adapt the organism to its environment.” (Gray’s Anatomy)
3. If there is interference in your nervous system (subluxation/misalignment) your body cannot function as intended. Therefore it is no longer self-healing and/or self-regulating.
4. The longer the interference occurs the more devastating the effects are to your health and well-being.
5. Our job as a chiropractor is to locate, analyze and correct the subluxations/misalignments and their causes. This will give your body the ability to regain its self-healing and self-regulating properties. Allowing you, your family and friends to enjoy optimum health, well-being, longevity, quality of life and THRIVE!
What is a Subluxation?
1. The spine is no longer moving through its normal range of motion and is considered “misaligned.”
2. Neural tissues (spinal cord, nerve roots and surrounding tissue, or meninges) are compromised, elongated, stretched or compressed by the “misaligned” vertebrae.
3. There is an alteration, change, or disruption of the “nerve impulses.”
What causes Subluxation?
Three types of stress:
1. Physical: the birthing process, injury from falls, learning to walk, poor posture or postural defects, repetitive use injury, trauma, sports and sport injuries, weight lifting, and running. Just to name a few examples.
2. Chemical: medications, food dyes, preservatives, vaccines, environmental/air pollutants, alcohol, and smoking.
3. Emotional: anxiety, depression, business or personal relationships, money/finances, school, and life in general.
How do you know if you have a Subluxation?
You don’t always know!
Ten percent of your nervous system function is for the detection of pain and ninety percent for function. Therefore, you are not always able to feel when you have a misalignment/subluxation. Since we are all subjected to stressors (physical-chemical-emotional) at birth and throughout life, we will also experience misalignments/subluxations. We just don’t know the extent of the affect this will have on our nervous system and overall health. For this reason, we at Thrive for Life, utilize state-of-the-art scanning technology to measure nerve system function and progress throughout the course of our patient’s care. There are three scans that we utilize; The Pulse Wave Profiler, Surface EMG and Thermal Scan. The COREScore is made up of these three scans which tell us how stress is impacting your overall health and well-being.
Heart Rate Variability
The Pulse Wave Profiler helps the doctor to determine your overall ability to adapt to the environment. It does this by looking at the timing of your pulse, and determining the balance and tension within your nervous system. This exam is known as heart rate variability. Stressful lifestyles habits including poor dietary choices, limited exercise and constant emotional aggravation can cause the body to be caught in the “fight-flight” response. This can lead to exhaustion and a draining of a person’s reserves. A score within the green box on the graph is associated with accelerated aging and poor heart health. Published research has shown that chiropractic adjustments have a beneficial effect on heart rate variability.
Muscle Tone and Balance
The Surface EMG exam evaluates the function of the muscles that support and move your spine. These muscles are controlled by the nerves running within it. This test measures how much energy is needed to maintain your posture and how it is distributed throughout the muscles. IF too much energy is used when a spine is out of balance, this test score will be lower than normal. Over time, daily stress can continue to overwork these muscles, causing them to lose their support and mobility. This will also lower the score. Muscle fatigue and poor energy distribution are signs of a person’s entire health being under stress. By precisely measuring muscle activity, your progress can be followed as your spine releases tension and you regain more control.
Organ and Gland Control
The Thermal scan is used to assess the part of your nervous system that helps to control your organs, glands, and blood vessels. The autonomic nervous system works alongside the spinal nerves to regulate your immunity while managing your internal organ functions. The instrument does this by precisely measuring the differences in temperature along the spine. Temperature is an accurate indicator as to where stress is building up and how deeply it affects bodily functions. Each organ system relies on clear and balanced nerve signals to work efficiently. Nerve interference that is detected by this sensor is valuable in understanding and planning health and wellness strategies.
Why is COREScore Important to Your Health?
We live our entire lives through our nervous systems. Every movement, sensation, emotion and organ function is under the guidance of the nerves system. With COREScore, we can now accurately report on the efficiency of your central nervous system. Ignoring the warning signs puts your health at risk.
Chronic stress and body tension damages everyone’s health. Based on your individual COREScore, our chiropractors will develop a highly personalized care plan with a goal of moving towards a score of 100- near perfect spinal nerve function!
What Chiropractors Do
Chiropractors are primarily concerned with locating and treating vertebral subluxations.
Using multiple unique and specialized techniques, the chiropractor checks the patient’s spine for any misalignments, fixations, or other abnormalities (vertebral subluxations). If subluxations or other abnormalities are detected, the chiropractor will generally apply a gentle force in a corrective manner to the affected spinal area. In addition to spinal adjusting; soft tissue techniques, FMT (fascial movement taping) taping, stretching/exercise, dietary/nutritional counseling, and lifestyle modification programs are commonly recommended.
Conditions that Benefit from Chiropractic Care
- Neck and back pain
- Extremity (shoulder, elbow, hand, knee, foot) pain relief
- Headache relief
- TMJ dysfunction
- Decreased mobility and range of motion
- Stiffness and muscle spasms
- Improvement in sports performance
- Restless or poor sleep
- Digestion and or reflux symptoms
- Arthritic joint pain
- Immune system dysfunction (autoimmune dysfunction)
- Improved relaxation and overall sense of well-being
- Improved balance and coordination
- Reduced degeneration and risk of injury
- Enhanced tissue healing
- Decrease in infant colicky symptoms and ear infections in children
Acute care is the treatment performed when you are experiencing musculoskeletal pain, whether from a specific injury, or even if the pain is idiopathic (of unknown origin) in nature. The goal of acute care is to relieve your pain, reduce irritation that is contributing to your pain, and restore normal range of motion to the affected joint. Depending upon the severity of your injury/condition, this stage of care can be as little as one or two treatments, or can involve as many as several treatments per week for several weeks, along with instructions for home care that will aid in speeding the healing process.
What is Maintenance Care?
More often than not, when we tell someone we are a chiropractic office, they immediately associate us with neck and/or back pain relief. What many do not realize however, is that chiropractic is a health care modality that provides significantly more than just a solution for pain. Chiropractic is a lifestyle that involves all aspects of wellness, including exercise, nutrition, personal development, and stress relief. We define chiropractic as the discovery and removal of the vertebral subluxation, which is an interference that is taking place in your Central Nervous System (CNS). It is important to recognize that our CNS is the master controller of our entire body and it directly correlates to our ability to function and exist.
People who are suffering with symptoms such as pain, headaches, allergies, asthma, digestive issues, and other conditions are likely living in a subluxated state. When we provide these individuals with an adjustment, we are able to remove the interference, allowing the body’s natural ability to care for itself resulting in the elimination and or the lessening of these symptoms. In addition, patients who are under regular chiropractic care experience less symptoms overall and are able to adapt to the many stressors of life.
At Thrive for Life we believe the body has the ability to heal itself and function optimally. This is only true if there is nothing interfering with that process. Our focus as specialists is to find the cause of the interference and or imbalance and do everything we can to correct it, allowing the body to once again heal itself and thrive! We do not claim to treat conditions or cure disease; we are simply working to support and restore the body’s natural healing abilities.